social media

Thursday, October 31, 2013

LIFE WITH MUSIC

All Rights Reserved.


I love music and I miss making it now that I'm all grown up and graduated. Last month I read over a list of life goals I'd like to accomplish and one of them was: "Conduct an orchestra." I've always loved conducting but haven't really had the opportunity to conduct an ensemble. I just love what music can do and how it can "flow" through my body. I then saw another goal about joining a community ensemble and being active in the community.

I don't remember how I got to the town's orchestra facebook page - but I did and I am so happy I did! I quickly contacted the city and they put me in touch with the general manager for the orchestra and then with the principal percussionist.... who happened to be... drumroll.... my last ensemble conductor in college! Dr. Taylor has taught me so much. He quickly replied and next thing - I missed the first rehearsal.
But then through tender mercies and perfect timing, I made it to the second rehearsal! Tonight we had our concert: "¡Fuego Latino!" (Latin Fire! in English).

It's been so busy these last weeks coming home for 5 minutes after work to go to rehearsal right after... BUT I LOVE MUSIC! It was so worth it. The music was a bit of a challenge at first - so rhythmic and time signatures I wasn't comfortable with before - but one step closer to my other goals! I can't wait for next season!

What we performed:
Sensemaya by Silvestre Revueltas
El Amor Brujo by Manuel de Falla (one of my faves!!)
Danzon No. 2 by Arturo Marquez
Navarra, Op. 33 by Pablo de Saraste
El Salon Mexico by Aaron Copland (the other favorite!)

Post a Comment